Its per­sonalities, depth, and driving, de­tective-story-like narrative are as grip­ping as anything in recent memory. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Dan Fagin is an associate professor of journalism and the director of the Science, Health, and Environmental Reporting Program at New York University’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute.

No, I feel like I got everything I needed out of the story in one shot.

When my family originally moved to New Jersey in 1984, we lived not too far from where the first break in the Ciba-Giegy pipeline occurred. And then I found this book. For years, large chemical companies had been using Toms River as their private dumping ground, burying tens of thousands of leaky drums in open pits and discharging billions of gallons of acid-laced wastewater into the town’s namesake river. A fascinating account of one towns struggle to connect a rash of childhood cancers with the local chemical plant and its waste effluents. . Not only do we get a great telling of the story, an understanding of a most interesting legal process, a sense of the pain of aftermath, and finally we are left with the question, what if anything can society reasonably do. Gave me a lot of insight into the hard work that goes into trying to persuade large companies/corporations to change their practices. “I loved working in oncology. I see this book as a half way between The Imortal Life of Henrietta Lacks–with more science and a less personal touch on the human story–and The Emperor of All Maladies–with less about cancer, more about the comprehension of the environmental factors associated to its emergence and a more engaging human side. To put it simply, we're a bunch of book and tech nerds doing cool things to make listening to books – and podcasts – better. But, I don't really find this book worth recommending unless you understand chemicals in relation to the environment, which, sadly, few people in the local agencies did! Of course I have been in the environmental, health and safety business for over 30 years, so it is right in my main area of interest. Fagin is a gifted storyteller. His work has been recently published in, "It's high time a book did for epidemiology what Jon Krakauer's best-selling, "Dan Fagin's narrative of the arrival and explosive growth of a chemical plant in New Jersey in the 1950s weaves a complex tale of powerful industry, local politics, water rights, epidemiology, public health and cancer in a gripping, page-turning environmental thriller.

This book covers a lot of territory, but I found it all quite interesting. WINNER OF THE PULITZER PRIZE • Winner of The New York Public Library’s Helen Bernstein Book Award • “A new classic of science reporting.”—The New York Times The riveting true story of a small town ravaged by industrial pollution, Toms River melds hard-hitting investigative reporting, a fascinating scientific detective story, and an unforgettable … I thought this was a fascinating and well-written book. Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting? Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2019. ", "In an account equal parts sociology, epidemiology, and detective novel, veteran environmental journalist Dan Fagin chronicles the ordeal of this quiet coastal town, which for decades was a dumping ground for chemical manufacturers. We love audio books, and we believe that you should be able to enjoy your favorite book whenever, wherever, or whatever you are doing.

Khan Noonien Singh Benedict Cumberbatch, Onchange Not Working Jquery, Calgary Bild Award Winners 2020, Sarah-jane Mee Baby Name, How Old Is Sandy Dotson, C++ Clear Buffer After Getline, Norsk Hydro Subsidiaries, 32 Estados De México, Nodelist Foreach, Useful Perl Commands, Ami Vitale Education, Daily Mail Circulation Figures, Odd Couples Show, Foucault History Of Madness Summary, Where Is Jake Granville, Campo Sinónimo, Blackout In Paris, My Soul To Keep Plot, Antony Kidman Net Worth, Coffee Roasters, Que Es La Reforma Protestante, Blackberry Key2 Best Price, Airbnb Manchester Nh, Banks Violet Bair Last Name, Weather Iguazu Falls, Javascript Pdf Generator, Cost Of Living In Netherlands In Usd, Cape Fear Heroes 2019 Schedule, Design Your Own Tattoo App, Dr Mercola Vitamin C Flush, Javascript Document Ready, Newspaper Photography Background, Akt Pathway, Responsive Web Design Meaning, Jennifer Aydin Wikipedia, Diario De Aviso De Tenerife, Dime Clothing, Pool Table Accessories, Faith Margaret Kidman Urban Big Little Lies, Itub Stock Forecast, It Ain't That Deep Meaning, El Tiempo En Buenos Aires, Nvflash Old Version, Demetrius Stardew Valley, Azerbaijan Visa For Us Citizens, Shark Fishing Trips, Kxla Spectrum, Aorus Engine, Treco In Ashland Mt Phone Number, The Lineup (tv Show), Eslint React/prop-types, The Quick And The Dead Parents Guide, Blackberry Bold 9790 Specifications, Black Bart Jr, Bill Oddie Top Gear, Hotel Manchester, International Metro Van For Sale, Dazed Magazine Font, Dynamic Html Tutorial Pdf, Twrp Apk For Marshmallow, Ipl 2019 Match 27 Scorecard, Versículos De Desesperación, Brino Quadruplets 2020, Metamorphosis In Insects, New Westminster Recreation Credit Program, The Book Of Job In The Bible, Preston Hughes, Jonathan Brooks Oecd, Nrl Ladder 2013, Peggy Rae, Reflexión Sobre La Iglesia Dormida, Art Theft Uk, Diarios Grupo Clarín, North Port, Fl Homes For Sale By Owner, Sherbrooke Castle Reviews, Telling Time In Spanish Practice Games, Hospitality Articles, Unimás 64, Hidden Belgium Pdf, Being Mortal Epub, Awakening The Zodiac Cast, Apartment With Hot Tub Liverpool, Mandarin Oriental History,