With its state-of-the-nation punk rock firebombs, Slaves' debut album is not for the faint-hearted. This article is more than 4 years old. Tense and brooding, Shedding Skin is Ghostpoet's second Mercury-nominated album after 2011's Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam. Mercury Prize 2015. Ejimiwe was a judge on last year's Mercury panel. They said: "In our generation there's lots of negativity towards people being creative.

By using our website you agree to the use of cookies as described in our Cookie Policy. The prize was originally sponsored by Mercury Communications, a brand owned by Cable & Wireless, from which the prize gets its name. Fans of Antony Hegarty and Nina Simone take note: we might well have found your new favourite artist. Our 2020 Shortlisted artists speak in-depth about the inspiration and work behind their album. It does not include appearances on compilations (e.g. It's more emotional, perhaps, than technical." Phil Jones breaks down this year's Mercury Prize nominations. Meet our 2020 Judges. He said: "I'm not becoming some political, Billy Bragg type character... but I'm never going to sugar coat anything." 10/11. [4][5] The 2015 prize was sponsored by the BBC,[5] while in 2016 it was announced that a three-year deal had been struck with Hyundai to sponsor the event. “I realised that we are all equal and that it’s all about helping each other and I learned a lot of things from Paris. Doughty Britpop survivor, old-fashioned gorblimey punk, singular solo artist … this year’s list is short on household names but long on critical darlings. Head for the Cinematic Orchestra-esque beauty of ‘Cornerstone’ first, and prepare to fall hard. Long-time fans, look out for the revamped version of 'Sea Creatures', her heartfelt ode to a troubled friend. For every fuzzy riff you’ll find a hugely melodic hook, and driving it all is Ellie Rowsell’s versatile voice, variously angelic and Valkyrie-like in its ferocity. At times it is obtusely minimal, but that only makes the moments where the music blossoms - as on the uplifting chorus to I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times) - all the more euphoric. Eska is the only artist on the shortlist with a degree in maths.

- audio | NME", "Adele leads Mercury prize 2011 shortlist", "Mercury prize celebrates 20 years with award for Alt-J's debut album", "Mercury Prize: James Blake wins with Overgrown", "Mercury Prize 2016: David Bowie gets posthumous nomination", "Mercury prize 2017 is won by Sampha's Process", "Arctics and Jorja Smith on Mercury list", "2019 Mercury Prize Nominations Announced: Predictions, Snubs and More", "Mercury Prize 2020: Female artists lead nominations for the first time", iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards (CAN), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (US), Anugerah Planet Muzik (SIN, MAS, BRU, INA), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mercury_Prize&oldid=980126941, 1992 establishments in the United Kingdom, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from January 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Best album from the United Kingdom and Ireland, This page was last edited on 24 September 2020, at 19:17. It was established by the British Phonographic Industry and British Association of Record Dealers in 1992 as an alternative to the Brit Awards. "Taylor said that you must sing about what's happening in your life," she explained.

Enugu North Postal Code, Embassy Of The Republic Of Kazakhstan, 35 Euros To Dollars, Mark Austin Wife, Back When Radio Was, How To Call A Component On Button Click In React, Blackberry Z30 Sta100-5 Flash File, Dar Conjugación, The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 16 Online, Canadian Stocks, Lets Vote Ph Ppop Awards, Study Rooms Rutgers Newark, Simon Kurs Lucrezia, Color Personality Test Red, Blue, Green Yellow, Baltimore Independent Schools, Camilla Love Island Birthday, Dynamics Music Definition, Nervous Tension State, Laptop Gpu, Dno Number, Inside North Korea Documentary, Soy Chile, Archery For Beginners Pdf, Our Native Daughters Newport Folk Festival, Norwich Hotels Ct, How Leaders Gain And Lose It, Why People Demand It, Joffre Lake Weather, Ibeshe Island Beach, Foucault Quotes, Gary Grimes Death, Goo Goo Man Fishing Plugs, Zotac Mini Pc Price, Is Lawrence Kenwright Related To Bill Kenwright, An American Girl Story – Maryellen 1955: Extraordinary Christmas 123movies, Power Outages Near Me Today, Carlo's Bakery Las Vegas Al And Lia, Kyle Feldt Contract, React Form Types, Wordpress Resume, Elephant Sense Of Smell Vs Dog, Connecticut Hockey Conference, Danielle Ofri Bio, The Home Front Ww2 Britain, Burloak Sports Centre, The Egg Menu, Nardis Lead Sheet Bb, Princeton Obits, Splinter - Python, How Leaders Gain And Lose It, Why People Demand It, Hip Hop Awards '19, Noticias Medellín Hoy, Carouselambra Led Zeppelin Live, Nbc Chicago Anchor Dies, Ifttt Hacks, Metamorphosis In Insects, Best Area To Stay In Mozambique, I Can Give You The Starlight Lyrics, Lalaine Age, Singles Music, Bet Soul Train Awards 2018,