He helped my parents and that’s why I was named Iñaki after him. Williams was born in Bilbao, Spain, to Ghanaian immigrants Félix and María in 1994. So, as Liberia and Ghana are close, almost next to each other, they said they were from Liberia and ripped up their papers. Spanish-born Ghanaian striker Iñaki Williams has narrated how his refugee parents ended up in Bilbao, Spain. Iñaki has since become a staple in the starting lineup which attracted attention from other clubs, but has responded by signing multiple contract renewals. Son of African parents from Liberia and Ghana who fled to Spain in the early '90s due to the civil war devastating Liberia, he was born a Basque and had the opportunity to play for Athletic Club, an institution that only signs players from the region. The 25-year-old recounted how his parents travelled across the Sahara from Ghana to Melilla and received help from a stranger before ending up in Bilbao where he was born. “Because when my parents were in prison [on arrival in Spain], a gentleman showed up saying that he would like to meet them - I would really love to know who that man was and what he looked like but my mother can’t remember much about it and we didn’t have the chance to say thank you to him. Every year we go down to Pamplona to see him and spend the whole day together, chatting… so we are in constant contact. That’s why I’m called Iñaki – in his honour. document.write(''); “We’re still in touch with Iñaki [Mardones]. He was the one who gave my parents a place to live and who baptized me. // End --> If it wasn’t for all of the kind people that my parents met along the way, maybe I wouldn’t be here today, I am very grateful to all of them – not just to my own parents but also to Bilbao because it is a city which is very special to me, to my parents and to my family because it showed me that kind good people exist," the Athletic forward explained on Universo Valdano on Movistar +. Williams was born in Bilbao, Spain, to Ghanaian immigrants Félix and María in 1994. He was handed his debut on 6 December, 2014 and scored his first goal just two months later in a Europa League match against Torino, becoming the first black player to score a goal for Athletic. At a very young age they moved to Pamplona where he would join the local youth academy of CD Pamplona where he was discovered by scouts from Athletic Club. He helped my parents and that’s why I was named Iñaki after him. Copyright © 1994 - 2020 GhanaWeb. Inaki Williams on how his parents took the long journey from Ghana; Inaki Williams' African roots thriving at Athletic Bilbao and Spain's. Inaki Williams recounts how his Ghanaian parents ended up in Bilbao, GES To Open Recruitment Portal For University Graduates To Apply: Director-General Of GES, Prof. Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, NEWS IN: NTC Begins Distribution Of Licenses To In-Service Teachers, Automatic Posting Of Teachers Without Licensure Exam And National Service To Be Reversed – Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh, Construction Of Good Roads Is Not A Complete Solution To Road Accident- Goaso Nkosuohene, Government’s free water policy extended to end of year 2020, Wizkid’s three sons make their debut in his “Smile” Video featuring H.E.R, WATCH VIDEO: Stonebwoy Receives A “Presidential Welcome” As He Visits Ashaiman, WATCH VIDEO: Akuapem Poloo Getting Married At Alisa Hotel, Girls Make Your Own Money To Avoid Guys Chopping You Unnecessarily – Yaa Jackson, WATCH VIDEO: ‘Killy Killy’ Hitmaker, Larruso Involved In An Accident, Watch Video:: Latif Blessing’s Los Angeles FC Dismember Vancouver FC In MLS, GFA and CalBank meet to discuss Ghana Beach Soccer sponsorship extension, Despite Media’s Bongo Depharaa To Host Sports Minister On UTV, Ghana Football will be ready and prepared for a return – Kurt Okraku, Arsenal Sign Goalkeeper Alex Runarsson From French Club Dijon, Statistical Service extends deadline for Census trainee recruitment, Gov’t To Fine Airlines That Bring Coronavirus Passengers, NABCO Ladies Pledge Support For Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo And Their MP OTENG MENSAH, Church members lay clothes on the ground for Prophet to walk on as he steps out of his Benz, Meet The Man Who Sued God And Even Got His Day In Court, ‘My father was a grand wizard of Freemason’ – Duncan-Williams | Video, WATCH VIDEO: Pastor got beaten for ‘having s3x with married church member, Alleged Military Lesbian who got married is currently been detained and facing a court martial, Two beautiful Ghanaian l£sb!ans marry peacefully in Ghana (Videos), Broke man sells his set of twins for GHC2,249, Worrying scene as teenage armed robber is set ablaze by mob for robbing supermarket, 68-year-old granny narrates how her Ghanaian lover boy scammed her of £18,000, ODD!

Cyprus Visa Requirements, Control All Ability Points, How Much Is A Visa In South Africa 2020, Wedding Photojournalism, Dylan Napa Mother, Slayground 2 Song Name, Boatyard Bar & Grill, Merce Cunningham Chance, Gigabyte Aorus Geforce Rtx 2080 Ti Xtreme, Manly Sea Eagles Box Tickets, Jquery Function, Haylie Duff 7th Heaven, Wall Street Journal Journalism Terms, Espacio Narrativo Ejemplos, Batman: Arkham Knight 4gb Ram, Chinese American Comedian, Montana Brown Before And After, Diana F+, Make Simple Sentence With Converse, Enmax Twitter, Birth Rate Chart, Halle Berry Red Carpet Dresses, Ajax Lineup 2020, Isle Of Rum Jobs, One Sided Love Plant Vibes Lyrics, Sandeep Jauhar Bio, The First Honest Book About Lies, Einstein Brain Stolen, Versículos De La Biblia Cortos, Orlando City B Roster 2020, Blackberry Dtek50 Battery Price, Foraging Hook, Houses For Rent In Lynn, Ma, Ui Library, Modern Cv Template Uk,