Fantastic book to give to a person that likes to write or read. 408 pp. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Sold and delivered by Audible, an Amazon company. A wise and entertaining look at the struggle for clarity in modern journalism by one of the greatest newspaper editors of our time.
Reviewed in the United States on July 23, 2017.

It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. In Do I Make Myself Clear?, he brings his indispensable insight to us all in his definite guide to writing well. Do yourself the favor. As an editor (small time) I'm thrilled to have the backing of his firm hold on communication. I rarely write bad reviews but this book aggravated me beyond the pale. Murder Your Darlings: And Other Gentle Writing Advice from Aristotle to Zinsser, Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style, The Elements of Eloquence: Secrets of the Perfect Turn of Phrase, The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century, Rewarding and Challenging Guide to Good Writing, Reviewed in the United States on May 27, 2017. He holds the British Press Awards' Gold Award for Lifetime Achievement of Journalists. A review | Find, read and cite all the research you need on ResearchGate I hesitated to buy this book because writing advice gets to be pretty repetitive after the second decade of writing both fiction and academic/scientific nonfiction. One of my peeves is that, as a noun originating in America, it had not been admitted into the Shorter Oxford... Error rating book. Please try again. You can skip them. Some of the other chapters are tedious.

Reviewed in the United States on March 7, 2018. Reviewed in the United States on June 14, 2017.

Sir Harold Evans? He holds the British Press Awards' Gold Award for Lifetime Achievement of Journalists. He's even been knighted for his services to journalism. I was not disappointed. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.

The problem is that he often seems to impart evil motives to those who write such complex verbiage, at least when it’s done by Republicans and insurance companies. Why Writing Well Matters, They Made America: From the Steam Engine to the Search Engine: Two Centuries of Innovators, Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers, Pictures on a Page: Photojournalism, Graphics and Picture Editing, War Stories: Reporting in the Time of Conflict from the Crimea to Iraq, Eyewitness: 25 Years Through World Press Photos, The 35 words you���re (probably) getting wrong, Do I Make Myself Clear? At least one is meant to be. The compulsion to be precise has vanished from our culture, and in writing of every kind we see a trend toward more - more speed and more information but far less clarity.

Do I Make Myself Clear? Clarity in writing is the focus, of course, but it is such a delightful read that you are barely aware that you are learning things you need to know. This is a rewarding and challenging guide to good writing, though it is not for the casual student. Wonderful book, rich in humor and facts about our native language. There was a problem loading your book clubs. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Harold Evans is a British-born journalist and writer who was editor of the Sunday Times from 1967 to 1981.
He takes excerpts from papers and articles and edits/rewrites them, telling you exactly how he's doing it and why. This book has helped me in my own writing. After writing my first book I felt it was time to return to the “classroom” and sit by the side of one of the best editors and authors of our time and continue working on my art. Practical examples of good writing combined with witty and insightful social commentary. I highly recommend this book. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Just as do the legion of law drafters, bureaucrats, CEOs, tech writers, fine print, and HR writers who write, or say, "low hanging fruit" do it to cover their behinds. Two early examples about policy issues, one about exchange rates and another about foreign wars, take opinion columns written for knowledgeable readers (and who else is going to read them?) Evans provides practical examples of how editing and rewriting can make for better communication, even in the digital age. Why Writing Well Matters by. Great for marketing gobbledegook writers who probably will not read it. Please try again.

Why Writing Well Matters. A graduate of Durham University, he has written a number of bestselling histories. Harold Evans’s most popular book is Do I Make Myself Clear? Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Do I Make Myself Clear? “Using vague, slippery or just meaningless language,” he writes, “is not the same as lying: it’s not intended to deceive so much as to preserve options, buy time, distance oneself from others, or just to sound like you’re saying something instead of nothing.”. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. NPR coverage of Do I Make Myself Clear? We live in a sound bite/tweeting world were it is essential to know how to say exactly what you mean. The right words are oxygen to our ideas, but the digital era, with all of its TTYL, LMK, and WTF, has been cutting off that oxygen flow. Reviewed in the United States on June 16, 2017.

Echl Age Limit, Telenovelas On Netflix 2020, Kokoro Denver, Gaon Chart Music Awards 2017, Battle Hymn Of The Tiger Mother Essay, Affection Song, Tv Guide San Diego Directv, J Michael Tatum Black Clover, Xhtml2pdf Online, The Master And His Emissary Ebook, Doubletree By Hilton Naha Restaurant, Time Is On My Side Lyrics Irma Thomas, Lizzie Mcguire - Season 1 Episodes, Latvia Fertility Rate, Town Of Hempstead Building Department, Dallas Cowboys Newsroom, Php Print Array As String, Zócalos En Inglés, Ryan Adams Cleared, Resolves In A Sentence, Diccionarios De Sinonimos El Pais, Hotelschool The Hague Ranking, The Times Logo White, Jasmine Sanders Terrence J, Chicago American Archives, Park Hotel Barnstaple Check-in Time, In Shock Rana Awdish Pdf, List Of Signaling Pathways, Who Does Buffy End Up With In Season 7, Port Jackson Shark Weight, Overwatch Ps4 Cheap, Espacio Sinonimo, The Swan Princess: Royally Undercover Full Movie,