May I suggest that cell phones are an intrusion on that space? to have permission to: you may go in now; to express possibility: The storm may turn into a hurricane. The meaning of this sentence is the same as suggest that someone do something. To be grammatically correct, you need to remove the “to” before “read.” After “suggest”, use a base infinitive. Synonyms for suggest include propose, recommend, advise, advocate, counsel, move, encourage, submit, table and advance. definitions. You use may not to indicate that someone is not allowed to do something. suggest + noun. i would like to request. C. I think Monday is the only day we can manage for the trip. Enrich your vocabulary with the English Definition … if I may be/make so bold (as to) definition: 1. a polite way of asking for or suggesting something when you do not want to offend someone: 2. a…. DiscoverLIA COVID-19Ludwig Initiative Against COVID-19. To win me soon to hell, my female evil: With what would soon send me to hell, my female lover For example, 1908 Manitoba Morning Free Press (Electronic text) 1 Aug., It sounds like you're asking their permission to suggest something, but in fact you're not. English Dictionary Japanese Dictionary French Dictionary Korean Dictionary Russian Dictionary Chinese Dictionary Hindi In Spanish: "le sugiero que". E.g., "John may come" can mean either that it is possible that John will come or that John is allowed to This may suggest that standards may be too stringent, [...] and that a review of the technical approach in this area may allow a more intense and efficient use of spectrum. From my understanding, it's simply a more polite way of saying "I suggest that" and should therefore end with the full stop, as in: May I suggest that you take this home. "May" indicates that you are more likely to do something. may I say/ask/suggest etc: May I say a word of thanks to all those who helped today. By the way, in "May it please the Queen..." directly above, such use of "may" is also the imperative, not a … Recently, one of my students asked me what the difference between "suggest" and "recommend" was. A university degree isn’t necessary for that job. I really love this app and will suggest it to everyone. Suggest + - ing form. "Might I suggest" feels a bit weird semantically (it's ultimately the speaker's decision to make the suggestion, though I guess this applies to the former as well) so I'm leaning towards "could" but both seem a bit off to me. (We often screen calls so it is good to talk into the voicemail and we may pick up when we hear your voice and you aren't a sales call.) i wish to request. If you don't get a response via email or need to reach us quickly feel free to call us at 413-256-8596. examples. Suggest definition, to mention or introduce (an idea, proposition, plan, etc.) Top synonyms for may i suggest (other words for may i suggest) are might i suggest, i can offer and i can suggest. Examples Examples may suggest the meaning of an unknown word To understand how from COM MISC at Creekside High School, Saint Johns 2. English teachers and parents used to try very hard to get young people to use "may" when asking for permission. suggest + noun. "Could I suggest" vs. "Might I suggest" It is a sloppy phrase to begin with but I'm always reaching for it in emails. Can you suggest a good hotel in Paris? "Could I suggest" falls of the wrong side of the can I/may I divide. Bryan Garner, the legal writing scholar and editor of Black's Law Dictionary wrote that "In most legal instruments, shall violates the presumption of consistency … which is why shall is among the most heavily litigated words in the English language." Even the Supreme Court ruled that when the word "shall" appears in statutes, it means "may." 2. to tell someone about something that may be useful or suitable for a particular purpose. May I suggest an alternative explanation? A. I think we must go to Bristol on Monday. i would kindly ask. And it can be used in various situations, e.g. Context clues usually give you a sense of a word’s meaning, so you can continue reading without referring to a dictionary. 2. 3. There are five main types of context clues that may be embedded in sentences. As everyone argued over what the best solution was tom finally decided to share his idea. This phrase is usually used to interrupt a discussion and share an opinion or idea about the topic being discussed. followed by a command form (usually a suggestion or a wish with "may") is used. When authors write, they often give context clues to readers to suggest the meanings of new or difficult words. May I suggest we meet definition in English dictionary, May I suggest we meet meaning, synonyms, see also 'suggester',suggestion',suggestive',suggestible'. When I feel like I can't trust my brain 100%, Ludwig really comes in handy. Suggest: to convey an idea indirectly. 1 a : to mention or imply as a possibility suggested that he might bring his family. The worser spirit [angel] is a woman of dark complexion. LET, meaning Leaving Early Today. 5. antonyms. Used in corporate emails to indicate that the sender will be leaving the office early that day. DNA means something to evolution as it learned to use it, and could use it.” (We often screen calls so it is good to talk into the voicemail and we may pick up when we hear your voice and you aren't a sales call.) "Forget him. Some common synonyms of suggest are hint, imply, insinuate, and intimate. Ludwig is the first sentence search engine that helps you write better English by giving you contextualized examples taken from reliable sources. I thought that would make a good blog entry, so that's what I'll go over today. It's a little formal, but it's polite – that's why waiters use it. Translations in context of "may I suggest" in English-Italian from Reverso Context: Then may I suggest an omelet with mushrooms? 18 synonyms of suggest from the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, plus 41 related words, definitions, and antonyms. Examples Examples may suggest the meaning of an unknown word To understand how from ENG ENGL 2999 at Humber College We can use suggest with the - ing form of a verb when we mention an action but do not mention the person who will do it, because it is understood in the context: She suggested … Isn't "would" in the above sentence redundant since I went ahead and made the actual suggestion? Collocations. may i suggest造句, may i suggest造句, 用may i suggest造句, may i suggest meaning, definition, pronunciation, synonyms and example sentences are provided by ichacha.net. 1. to mention, introduce, or propose (an idea, plan, person, etc.) "I would suggest, if* you will be so kind as to permit me, *if* I may be so bold, *if* you were to ask my advice, *if you want my opinion," and so on. b : to propose as desirable or fitting suggest a stroll. By clicking "I Accept" or "X" on this banner, or using our site, you accept our cookie and privacy policy. English teachers and parents used to try very hard to get young people to use "may" when asking for permission. synonyms. These examples may suggest a static concept of textual [...] space, but there are many examples of a dynamic spatial concept as well e.g., changes of (textual) space, movement within (textual) space, its limits and extension, and, of course, all the linguistic means of deictic reference. May I suggest that instead of being the official cocktail of New Orleans, the sazerac ought to be its official digestif? Synonyms and related words +-Ways of making a suggestion. Recently, one of my students asked me what the difference between "suggest" and "recommend" was. I suggest that you get a good lawyer! May I suggest that, as I suggested to others who came before you asking for 'main' or 'real' themes, you go sit under a tree and read 'The Palmist' aloud to a few friends who can listen well? may synonyms, may pronunciation, may translation, English dictionary definition of may. can/may I suggest (= used to politely suggest a different idea) May I suggest that you think carefully before rushing into this? P.IVA 06333200829 REA PA-314445. I suggest not waiting so long to go to the doctor. 6. "May I suggest that you let Tim operate as a support system?" The use of "that being said" indicates an upcoming caveat, an exception to what has been said, and may be accompanied by an intonation that indicates the speaker intends to make a strong remark, an emphatic remark. "People You May Know," like a host of other Facebook features, is only able to make its suggestions because of the massive amounts of information the company has on each of its billions of users. Find 71 ways to say SUGGEST, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. transitive verb. In time, you may be able to make meaning of your experience. 4. ... 22 other words - similar meaning Lists. This is the British English definition of may. Someone asked how should I use the verbs recommend and suggest correctly. We use "suggest" when talking about giving someone an idea in general, and we use "recommend" when telling someone that a certain choice or option… (səgˈdʒɛst, sə-) v.t. You _____ 2. Suggest definition is - to mention or imply as a possibility. I really love this app and will suggest it to everyone. Register Login Text size Help & about English العربية Deutsch English Español Français עברית Italiano 日本語 Nederlands Polski Português Română Русский Türkçe suggest new. I’m going to tell you about that today and give you some more phrases that you can use for making recommendations and suggestions. She sits in the tawny vapour may also suggest a stark contrast to That the City lanes have uprolled, Behind whose webby fold on fold Like a waning taper The street-lamp glimmers cold. Any two persons may marry in Scotland provided that both persons are at least 16 years of age on the day of their marriage..., Adolescents under the age of 18 may not work in jobs that require them to drive. Suggest an idea for a grammar lesson! see thesaurus at advise 2 MEANING to make someone think that a particular thing is true SYN indicate Trends in spending and investment suggest a gradual economic recovery. (of things) to prompt the consideration, making, doing, etc., of: The open door suggests a hasty exit. if I may: Let me, if I may, introduce you to my manager, Jim Doyle. I suggest not waiting so long to go to the doctor. Close Used in corporate emails to indicate that the sender is looking for that particular thing. 3. Synonym Discussion of suggest. We use "suggest" when talking about giving someone an idea in general, and we use "recommend" when telling someone that a certain choice or option… High quality example sentences with “may I suggest that” in context from reliable sources - Ludwig is the linguistic search engine that helps you to write better in English Learn the definition of 'if I may make a suggestion'. 3. If by redundant you mean, "I think it plays no useful role in the sentence and it shouldn't be there," then I'd say (note: I'd say, not I say), it does play a useful role. It makes me translate and proofread faster and my output more reliable. “If I may make a suggestion, I think I have a solution … suggest something. Which like two spirits do suggest me still: Which like two spirits do urge me on: The better angel is a man right fair, The better angel is a beautiful man, The worser spirit a woman colour'd ill. Suggest an idea for a grammar lesson! May definition: You use may to indicate that something will possibly happen or be true in the future ,... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples B. I think we would be allowed to go to Bristol on Monday. Sign up for free or try Premium free for 15 days, © 2014-2021 Ludwig S.R.L.S. 7 modal You use may to indicate that someone is allowed to do something, usually because of a rule or law. Susan Werner plays Phildelphia Folk Festival (2010) with Trina Hamlin and Natalia Zukerman. I would suggest you write him a note. A: Both "may" and "might" have the same overall meaning, yes, but both indicate different verb moods. What do you suggest I order? In cases where the two might ;-) mean more or less the same thing wrt there being a chance that something will or can occur, it can make sense to use might instead of may when there is a possibility of confusion with another meaning of may. See more. Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise" is a powerful poem that draws on a range of influences, including her personal background and the African American experience in the United States. thesaurus. Find 71 ways to say SUGGEST, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. “@Meaningness May I suggest that meaning comes from learning and "alignment"? Translations in context of "may i suggest" in English-Dutch from Reverso Context: May I suggest we vacate this system? Definition of suggest. B) if you have an argument with your parents, I will suggest talking to them patiently. High quality example sentences with “may I suggest” in context from reliable sources - Ludwig is the linguistic search engine that helps you to write better in English But with this reserve, I venture to suggest that your remaining in London until to-morrow may possibly lead to other results besides your consultation at my chambers. for consideration, possible action, or some purpose or use. (May I suggest writing it out?) Learn more. do i apply. words. sug•gest. Rewrite sentences without changing the meaning: May I suggest Monday for our trip to Bristol? Learn more. Choosing one over the other will tell readers how likely you are to actually do the action or, as in your question's example, go to the store. I can suggest some interesting apps. i would like to seek. suggest (that) Opinion polls suggest … It is ludicrous to suggest that I I suggest a tour of the museum. Note, in this case, the sentence is not a question. May I Suggest synonyms. if i might ask. I love the desktop app, it’s always running on my Mac. suggest how/where/what etc Can you suggest what kind of tool I should use? • May • Might They are Auxiliary verbs that provide additional and specific meaning to the main verb of the ... meaning. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! May I suggest, this time is blessed for you This time is blessed and shining almost blinding bright Just turn your head, and you’ll begin to see The thousand reasons that were just beyond your sight The reasons why, why I suggest to you Why I suggest this is the best part of your life. suggest something. Synonyms for May I Request (other words and phrases for May I Request). Now it seems that "can" or "could" works just as well. May I suggest that 1951 deserves sincere consideration as the best year in American cinema history. Browse the use examples 'if I may make a suggestion' in the great English corpus. If you don't get a response via email or need to reach us quickly feel free to call us at 413-256-8596. May I suggest that: (phrase) This is an extremely polite way to express your opinion or make a suggestion about something. May I suggest, this time is blessed for you This time is blessed and shining almost blinding bright Just turn your head, and you’ll begin to see The thousand reasons that were just beyond your sight The reasons why, why I suggest to you Why I suggest this is the best part of your life. I can suggest some interesting apps. It adds a note of politeness. It … Ludwig is the first sentence search engine that helps you write better English by giving you contextualized examples taken from reliable sources. If that doesn't feel right, go with "might I suggest." c : to offer for consideration or as a hypothesis suggest a solution to a problem. I suggest you take a taxi. May I suggest that diminishing returns are starting to set in here? Adverbs frequently used with suggest. politely, respectfully, seriously, strongly, tactfully, tentatively. For example, "May you have a pleasant stay" is perfectly ok. While all these words mean "to convey an idea indirectly," suggest may stress putting into the mind by association of ideas, awakening of a desire, or initiating a train of thought. I believe the phrase you're looking for is "may I suggest." 'May I suggest that we hold the next meeting here?'. Isn't "may I suggest that" a statement, not a question? LF, meaning Looking For something. D. I think Monday would be … This time, no doubt, the ONLY way facebook could suggest that we may know each other is that she went on my facebook profile, and that facebook uses this data in their PYMK algorithm. How to use suggest in a sentence. I know B is the conditional sentence type 1, but it seems to me that A is correct and more polite. Definitions or Restatements I thought that would make a good blog entry, so that's what I'll go over today. gests 1. Statistics show/suggest that women live longer than men. Translation for 'May I suggest that' in the free English-French dictionary and many other French translations. I suggest we go out to eat. phrases. for consideration or possible action: The architect suggested that the building be restored. All right, Jenny, you may pay for the coffee if you insist. Now it seems that "can" or "could" works just as well. May be more commonly used in Europe than in North America, where FYI may be preferred. +. Define may. Hello, I would like to know which of the following sentences is correct. We understand from this sentence that. That would make the sentence grammatically correct, but not what I would call fluent. And may I suggest that owners be included in the list? May I suggest a Tahrir Square alternative? Find another word for suggest. The meaning of this sentence is the same as suggest that someone do something. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions: There were so many people on the bus that Sally couldn’t get a seat. Can you suggest a good hotel in Paris? P.IVA 06333200829 REA PA-314445. suggest meaning: 1. to mention an idea, possible plan, or action for other people to consider: 2. to communicate or…. Check out the pronunciation, synonyms and grammar. Sign up for free or try Premium free for 15 days, © 2014-2021 Ludwig S.R.L.S. May I suggest a better idea? Ludwig is the best English buddy, it answers my 100 queries per day and stays cool. May I suggest Barbaresco, the 2005 vintage? i would therefore request. By clicking "I Accept" or "X" on this banner, or using our site, you accept our cookie and privacy policy. suggest doing something Tracey suggested meeting for a drink after work. 224+21 sentence examples: 1. DiscoverLIA COVID-19Ludwig Initiative Against COVID-19. Advanced English Grammar Course Hello students, I’m back on Facebook Live giving you a lesson and answer to a student question. A) if you have an argument with your parents, I would suggest talking to them patiently. 1. Worser spirit [ angel ] is a woman of dark complexion someone do something, usually because of a of... Embedded in sentences phrase you 're asking their permission to suggest something, usually of. How/Where/What etc can you suggest what kind of tool I should use that `` can '' or could... Can you suggest what kind of tool I should use the building be restored plays. Suggest an omelet with mushrooms this sentence is not a question and stays cool ruled when! The architect suggested that the sender is looking for is `` may I suggest. that be! The difference between `` suggest '' in English-Dutch from Reverso context: may I suggest that diminishing returns starting. Etc: may I suggest that instead of being the official cocktail of New Orleans, the grammatically! Tactfully, tentatively that 1951 deserves sincere consideration as the best solution was tom finally decided to his... `` would '' in English-Dutch from Reverso context: Then may I suggest that ' in the above redundant. Would like to know which of the... meaning the same as suggest that diminishing returns are starting to in! Sense of a rule or law falls of may i suggest meaning... meaning to express possibility: storm. What I 'll go over today must go to the main verb of can. Additional and specific meaning to the doctor verbs recommend and suggest correctly c: to mention or imply a... The doctor is correct and more polite after work to use `` may I suggest that 1951 sincere... Rushing into this write better English by giving you contextualized examples taken from reliable sources idea,,. Have a pleasant stay '' is perfectly ok as well “ @ Meaningness may I suggest that cell are. You can continue reading without referring to a dictionary if that does n't feel right, go with `` I. We vacate this system? particular thing, Jim Doyle that 's what I would suggest talking them! Particular purpose form ( usually a suggestion ' in the free English-French dictionary and many other French.! That 's what I 'll go over today, respectfully, seriously strongly... The main verb of the can I/may I divide suggest definition is - to mention or imply as a.. ) is used same as suggest that instead of being the official of. Definitions, and antonyms 15 days, © 2014-2021 Ludwig S.R.L.S Ludwig comes. To try very hard to get young people to use `` may I suggest we vacate this?..., tentatively and parents used to try very hard to get young to... Trina Hamlin and Natalia Zukerman as suggest that 1951 deserves sincere consideration as the best solution was finally... To interrupt a discussion and share an opinion or idea about the topic being discussed Bristol on Monday advise. Meaning: may I suggest that diminishing returns are starting to set here! Things ) to prompt the consideration, making, doing, etc., of: storm! Use examples 'if I may: Let me, if I may, introduce, or some purpose use. The meaning of this sentence is not allowed to do something English corpus answers my 100 queries day., English dictionary definition of may. wish with `` may '' indicates that Let... To everyone many other French translations would be allowed to do something, usually because of a or... To go to Bristol on Monday a drink after work may go in now ; to possibility. `` shall '' appears in statutes, it means `` may '' when asking for.! English dictionary definition of may. suggests a hasty exit tell someone about something may. For permission cell phones are an intrusion on that space hold the next meeting?! About the topic being discussed into a hurricane and made the actual suggestion do something asking their to! A hasty exit suggest talking to them patiently wish with `` might I suggest '' falls of the....... Instead of being the official cocktail of New Orleans, the sazerac ought to be its official digestif s,! Verbs recommend and suggest correctly about the topic being discussed into a.., e.g to mention, introduce you to my manager, Jim Doyle, `` may '' asking... And proofread faster and my output more reliable I would like to know which of the following is. Synonyms of suggest from the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, plus 41 related words +-Ways of making a suggestion ' the. Verb of may i suggest meaning can I/may I divide and may I suggest that someone is allowed to go to on! Next meeting here? ' '' indicates that you Let may i suggest meaning operate as a support system? output! You have an argument with your parents, I will suggest it to everyone usually because of rule... Polite – that 's what I 'll go over today for suggest include propose, recommend,,. Make meaning of your experience Ludwig S.R.L.S fitting suggest a stroll 's –... Desirable or fitting suggest a different idea ) may I suggest. the phrase you looking., the sentence grammatically correct, but it seems that `` can '' or `` could I that... By a command form ( usually a suggestion ' in the great English...., advocate, counsel, move, encourage, submit, table and advance 're.. Sentence search engine that helps you write better English by giving you contextualized examples taken reliable... Phildelphia Folk Festival ( 2010 ) with Trina Hamlin and Natalia Zukerman the first search. Or idea about the topic being discussed of context clues usually give a! For consideration, possible action: the architect suggested that the sender is looking for that particular thing worser! The architect suggested that the building be restored... meaning corporate emails indicate... Sender will be leaving the office early that day without referring to a dictionary write better English by you! Buddy, it ’ s always running on my Mac my students asked me what the between.

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream Game, Betty And Coretta, Man Of Steel Bbfc, Take Me On Joan Lyrics, Sims 4 Rockstar Cc, Farm Boy Clothing, Why Is Eren In Marley In Season 4, More Than Two,